The Research Center Dynamics of High Latitude Marine Ecosystems (IDEAL) invites applications from outstanding young scientists for a postdoctoral position to participate in the program of the Research Line 2: Bio-invasions and endemism in a changing world: a physiological and molecular approach in the Southern Ocean.
The selected candidate will integrate the team of the Center’s Research Line 2, where he/she will be involved in laboratory and in situ studies focused in the study of adaptation capacity of marine species from the Antarctic and Subantarctic regions to the effects of different drivers of global change (temperature, salinity, hypoxia, acidification). Candidates who demonstrate experience and high qualification in the combined use of ecophysiological approaches (energetics, thermal tolerance, oxidative stress, osmoregulation) and genetic tools (transcriptomics, genomic), will be highly valued. Ability to write manuscripts is considered essential.
The position will involve working in close collaboration with colleagues from the IDEAL Center as well as national and international institutions.
- A relevant PhD degree in Marine Biology Sciences (relationships organism/environment) obtained within the past 5 years. Candidates who have recently submitted their PhD thesis and will obtain the degree before appointment are also eligible for the position.
- A proven record in ecophysiology/genetics research, demonstrated by publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated expertise in studies focused on the relationship organism/environment.
- Adequate skills in data processing and statistics.
- Experience in laboratory and field work (use of different instruments and genetics tools).
- Proficiency in English is required as well as excellent organization and communication skills.
The application must include:
- Letter of motivation
- Statement describing previous research experience, including field and laboratory skills, and future research interests.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications indicating journal papers that are registered in WOS.
- Summary of his/her doctoral research (max. 3 p)
- Names and contact information of at least two researchers working in the area of interest
- Copy of PhD diploma, as well as any other material that can document qualifications at the postdoctoral level
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Application to RP2-IDEAL physiological and molecular approach, postdoctoral position”
Closing date for applications: June 15th, 2022
Salary and conditions of employment
- Duration of the contract is 3 years.
- The earliest start date is August 1st. A later start date is negotiable (but no later than October 2022).
- For foreign candidates, a VISA from your local Chilean consulate before moving to Chile is required.
- Annual salary is $28.740.000 Chilean Pesos before taxes (approximately, US$ 33,000 or 31,000 Euros, depending on exchange rate). This sum does not include the Installation Expenses that can be requested for the first year, for a maximum amount of $3.000.000.- (three million pesos).
The position will be based at the Universidad Austral de Chile (IDEAL’s main institution), Valdivia, Chile, with ample possibility to travel to Punta Arenas, and the chance to participate in expeditions to the Antarctic Peninsula and Subantarctic fjords of the Magellan region.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Jorge Navarro (email@example.com).
The Center IDEAL is financed by the National Research and Development Agency (ANID) of Chile, through the Fund of Research Centers in High-priority Areas (FONDAP). It is led by the Austral University of Chile (UACh), being its associate institution the University of Concepción (UdeC). Further information about IDEAL can be found at: https://centroideal.cl/en