The Research Center Dynamics of High Latitude Marine Ecosystems (IDEAL) calls for applications from outstanding young scientists for a postdoctoral position in Aquatic Ecology in the context of the Research Program Biological Interactions and Modulation of Benthic Processes in Antarctic and Subantarctic regions.
The post-doc position is aimed to support and potentiate Center’s research on topics related with molecular ecology of organisms from aquatic ecosystems, including coastal and cryospheric realms. The successful candidate should be able to conduct fieldwork, molecular genetics and ecophysiological surveys, as well as to design experimental essays to investigate responses of aquatic organisms and food webs to changing environmental conditions in Antarctica and Southern Patagonian regions. Special emphasis will be given to the examination of functional roles of diverse groups of cold-adapted micro-and macro-organisms in coastal processes, especially those that connect cryospheric, freshwater and marine systems. Skills in data analyses (OMICs, multivariate and time series analyses) and manuscript writing are essential.
The position will involve working in close collaboration with colleagues from the IDEAL Center as well as national and international institutions.
- A relevant PhD degree in Natural/Earth Sciences obtained within the past 5 years (from December 2017). Candidates who have recently submitted their PhD thesis and will obtain the degree before appointment are also eligible for the position.
- Skills in molecular ecology demonstrated by publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated expertise in techniques of genomics analyses, e.g. DNA barcoding, Metabarcoding, Metagenomics).
- Good knowledge of data processing and statistics (OMICs and bioinformatic tolls, univariate, multivariate and time series analyses, etc.).
- Previous participation in research campaigns will be considered positively.
- Proficiency in English is required as well as excellent organization and communication skills. An interest in achieving a basic understanding of Spanish is expected.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, requiring cooperative interactions among researchers.
The application must include:
- Letter of motivation: a brief statement of research interests and commitments.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications indexed in Web of Science.
- Copy of PhD diploma, as well as any other material that can document qualifications at the postdoctoral level.
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Application to RP3-IDEAL postdoctoral position”.
Closing date for applications: May 31, 2022
Starting date: June 2022
Salary and conditions of employment
- Contract duration is 3 years
- Annual salary is $19.200.000 Chilean Pesos before taxes (approximately US$ 29,000/25.000 Euros, depending on exchange rate).
- Foreign candidates will need to obtain a VISA from the local Chilean consulate before moving to Chile.
The position will be based at the Universidad Austral de Chile (IDEAL’s main institution), Valdivia, Chile, with ample possibility to travel to Punta Arenas, and the chance to participate in expeditions to the Antarctic Peninsula and Subantarctic fjords of the Magellan region.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Iván Gómez (email@example.com)
The Center IDEAL is financed by the National Research and Development Agency (ANID) of Chile, through the Fund of Research Centers in High-priority Areas (FONDAP). It is led by the Austral University of Chile (UACh), being its associate institution the University of Concepción (UdeC). Further information about IDEAL can be found at: INDEX | Centro IDEAL